Today's the Day: Blog
Posted: Wednesday, February 25th, 2009
Day three of our Fountain of Youth theme week and I am already feeling 10 years younger!!!! Ok, Iâ€™m lying, there isnâ€™t a magical potion- but thatâ€™s not to say you canâ€™t try to look and feel like you are 20 again. Iâ€™m not talking surgery or needing to take a second mortgage for the house to pay for beauty and spa treatments either. For one, I am learning that a great attitude towards improving your health and look are a nice start, and I canâ€™t stress enough nutrition and exercise. I wonâ€™t lecture today on the importance of healthy eating and working out, Iâ€™ll save that for next week. This week is about indulging in some fun and exciting ways to help your skin look great and younger. Today we are also taking a break from the face and turning to our bodies. CELLULITE! Hereâ€™s my takeâ€¦.even the girls in the most recent Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition, have it. They just cover it up really well in editing!!!! In fact, head on to â€śYou Tubeâ€ť and youâ€™ll find an endless amount of video showing celebrities with cellulite. I am not caddie, so I am not going to post it, but if you are feeling a little down and out about some trouble spots, just know that you are not alone.
So first off- what is cellulite? Wikipedia offers the following definition:
Cellulite describes a condition that occurs in men and women (although much more common in women) where the skin of the lower limbs, abdomen, and pelvic region becomes dimpled after puberty. The term was first used in the 1920s and began appearing in English language publications in the late 1960s, the earliest reference in Vogue magazine, "Like a swift migrating fish the word cellulite has suddenly crossed the Atlantic."
Descriptive names for cellulite include orange peel syndrome, cottage cheese skin, the mattress phenomenon, and hail damage. Synonyms include: adiposis edematosa, dermopanniculosis deformans, status protrusus cutis, and gynoid lipodystrophy. Cellulite is unrelated to cellulitis, which is infection of the skin and its underlying connective tissue.
For our segment today we met up with Louise Menard at Jeuneeve Esthetics on Rideau Street. I actually tried the treatment to get a better sense of what it felt like. Essentially it felt like a little suction with a nice gentle light massage to follow. There is a lot of starting and stopping, so donâ€™t expect that it will feel like a relaxation massage where you have the potential to fall asleep. Each body part is worked on and lathered up and dried, before moving to the next one. It took about an hour, but it was an hour of gentle movements away from work and kids!!!!
TechniSPA is the only body machine that provides three body slimming actions in one single operation. Its unique dermo-lipoaspiration technique provides three simultaneous body-contouring actions: (1) a physical action that allows lymphatic drainage and subdermal massage to break down cellulite; (2) a biological action which lets the active ingredients work at cellular level to dissolve cellulite and firm/lift skin; and (3) a muscular action that stimulates the muscles, drains fat deposits, firms tissues, and stimulates oxygen flow to the blood, while an alternating micro-current transmitted through the rollers stimulates muscle contractions. The techniSPA is designed to reduce cellulite, firm and tone the skin, therefore if concerned about love handles, inner thigh bulges, bingo wings, loose skin after pregnancy or weight loss, just cannot firm those stubborn areas after working out or that dreaded orange peel looking skin techniSPA is the answer. Ideal for men who just can not get that 6 pack no matter how hard they try.
For more information behind this new system: www.baronesse.com/en/index.html
The machine is the only one in Ottawa. Designed in Europe, it has been used at a variety of spas in Montreal so Louise was excited to bring it to Ottawa and give her clients the opportunity to try something like this
Louise stresses that as with many things, this is a commitment and so when you finish a treatment, one would hope that you arenâ€™t heading to McDonalds to load up on a fatty lunch. Maintaining a healthy diet and workout regiment will help in seeing results. If you donâ€™t plan on cutting back on the fats then this isnâ€™t an ideal treatment for you. You will also require several treatments. It is recommended to do about 12 sessions and then follow up with maintenance sessions. The cost if $85.00 per treatment and when you purchase all 12 you get 2 sessions for free. There are also creams for at home maintenance.
Great news for many moms out there who are battle that stretched skin on the stomach. There is a lifting and firming part to the overall treatment that you can have done on its own for your tummy. The cost for work on the tummy is $25.00 per session and they take just 10-15 minutes!
More fun anti-aging ideas set for tomorrowâ€¦Stay Tuned!!!
- TRX Posted: Wednesday, May 5th, 2010
- Chai Tea - Latte-style! Posted: Wednesday, February 17th, 2010
- Fruit and Vegetables Stickers Posted: Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009
- Organic Choices on Fruits and Vegetables! Posted: Wednesday, December 16th, 2009
- Gymsticks Posted: Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009
- Today's the Day Contributors Posted: Wednesday, November 25th, 2009
- Recap of Segments! Posted: Thursday, August 6th, 2009
- Multi-Vitamins Posted: Tuesday, July 7th, 2009
- Powerbar Snack Posted: Tuesday, June 9th, 2009
- Epipen Posted: Monday, June 8th, 2009
- Core Posted: Thursday, June 4th, 2009
- Shoulder Dislocate Stretch! Posted: Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009
- Nuts & Kettlebells! Posted: Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009
- Weed Re-cap Posted: Friday, May 29th, 2009
- Jumping Squares & Inverted Spine Table Posted: Thursday, May 21st, 2009
- An Ode to the Derriere! Posted: Tuesday, May 19th, 2009
- Recap: Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Natural Products Posted: Friday, May 15th, 2009
- Kettlebell switch swing Posted: Thursday, May 14th, 2009
- Speed and Agility Skills Posted: Tuesday, May 12th, 2009
- Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Bottom to Bottom Tabada Posted: Wednesday, May 6th, 2009
- Hydroxycut... Stop NOW! Posted: Tuesday, May 5th, 2009
- Ankle Sprains Posted: Thursday, April 30th, 2009
- Week Recap Posted: Monday, April 27th, 2009
- Spring Cleaning Posted: Friday, April 17th, 2009
- More Kettlebell Posted: Thursday, April 16th, 2009
- No Gym Required... Side Crunch! Posted: Wednesday, April 15th, 2009
- Teri's Stuffed Dates! Posted: Tuesday, April 14th, 2009
- JC Leg Cranks! Posted: Monday, April 13th, 2009
- The Common Cold... Posted: Thursday, April 9th, 2009
- Celebrity Trainer Posted: Wednesday, April 8th, 2009
- Catch Up! Posted: Tuesday, April 7th, 2009
- Hand Clap Abs! Posted: Wednesday, April 1st, 2009
- The Avocado Posted: Tuesday, March 31st, 2009
- Basic Kettlebell Swing Posted: Friday, March 20th, 2009
- Shin Splints Posted: Wednesday, March 18th, 2009
- The Right Question Posted: Tuesday, March 17th, 2009
- Personal Trainers Posted: Friday, March 13th, 2009
- Tabata Posted: Thursday, March 12th, 2009
- Grocery Shopping Posted: Wednesday, March 11th, 2009
- Hip Abductors! Posted: Tuesday, March 10th, 2009
- Swallowing the Horse Pills!! Posted: Monday, March 9th, 2009
- Cardio Tempo Posted: Friday, March 6th, 2009
- Strength for Seniors Posted: Wednesday, March 4th, 2009
- Oatmeal Bath Posted: Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009
- BOSU Jumping Jack! Posted: Monday, March 2nd, 2009
- Fountain Of Youth Wrap Up! Posted: Friday, February 27th, 2009
- Vitamin Infusions Posted: Thursday, February 26th, 2009
- Lipo-Dermo-Sculpting! Posted: Wednesday, February 25th, 2009