DATE: Wednesday, May 9th, 2007
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 large mangoes, peeled and chopped
- Â½ medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped peeled gingerroot
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp each: ground nutmeg, cinnamon and salt
- Combine apples, mangoes, red pepper, sugar, onion, raisins, vinegar and gingerroot in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until fruit is tender and mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice, curry powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; boil gently for 5 minutes. Remove hot jars from canner and ladle chutney into jars to within 1/2-inch (1 cm) of rim (head space). Process for 10 minutes for half-pint (250 mL) jars and 15 minutes for pint (500 mL) jars as directed on in Easy Step-by-Step Preserving.
Curried Mango Chutney Dip
- Blend 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp (25 mL) Mango Chutney, 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice, 1 chopped green onion and 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder.
- Makes 3/4 cup (175 mL). Serve with raw vegetables.
Meatballs with Oriental Chutney Sauce
- Place 1/3 cup (75 mL) Mango chutney, 1/2 cup (125 mL) orange juice, 2 tbsp (25 mL) each: cornstarch and soy sauce, and 1 tsp (5 mL) mustard in a small saucepan.
- Simmer about 5 minutes or until smooth and thickened, stirring occasionally. Use as a meatball dipping sauce.
Yield: 5 Cups