Today's the Day: Blog
Bottom to Bottom Tabada
Posted: Wednesday, May 6th, 2009
Here's the dealâ€¦ Today we showed you a new way to do the Tabata. I'll get to the Tabata details in a second... Right now my focus is on walking, from point A to point B in as little pain as possible.
My legs are shot. I love working out to the point of discomfort and a little pain. I like feeling sore the next day. I went a little too far! Here's the situation. As many of you know I was pretty sick for a while and getting to the gym was not my main goal, I just wanted to be healthy again and be able to breath out my nose. I dreaded the fact that I couldnâ€™t get to the gym, but knew it wouldnâ€™t help me get better. So finally this week, I was feeling back to normal and therefore ready to resume my workouts. I should have known to ease into it but I was too excited to get moving and feel like my old self again.
Having just finished taping our new segments, Lauren Scott, a contributor to the Today's The Day segment asked if I wanted to get in a quick workout. I was more than happy to say yes! Lauren knows I like to push pretty hard at the gym, so she was ready to get me cringing. And I have to admit a few foul words did fly out my mouth.
We tired a new version of the Tabata, this time involving a squat. So 20 seconds fast deep squats with a rest period of 10 seconds, only the rest didnâ€™t involved us shaking it off but rather staying in a deep squat. This is repeated 7 more times with no rest. By the end of set number 3 I was ready to throw in the towel, but Lauren pushed me through it. I t was awesome!!! And my legs felt like they weighed 100 pounds each, and more like Jello! We followed up the Tabata with a few other leg burning exercises. Hence, I cannot walk today, cannot even touch my legs to try and massage them outâ€¦and can't even think about working out the legs until next week. Hey, always something new to throw in the mix!!!
Here's some details on the Tabata. Also here is Laurenâ€™s contact information: email@example.com
Tabata Workouts are Intense and Effective 20 Second Workout or 20 Second Exercise Routine
If you're short on time but you still want a decent workout routine, a Tabata workout might be for you. Short but very hard and extremely intense is what tabata protocol workouts are all about. The Tabata protocol works so well because it maximizes oxygen consumption with short bursts of focused 20 second exercises.
The Tabata Workout was invented by Dr. Izumi Tabata at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. The basic 20 second exercise principle goes like this: A tabata interval is 20 seconds of concentrated work followed by 10 seconds of resting. Eight intervals of one specific 20 second exercise must be completed before moving on to the next. Sound easy? Not! But remember, Dr. Tabata and his group emphasize the fact that "High-intensity exercise cannot be prescribed for individuals at risk for health problems or for obese people who are not used to exercise".
- For 20 seconds, do as many repetitions as possible.
- Rest for 10 seconds
- Repeat 7 more times!
That's what tabata training is all about- This is a short explanation of tabata intervals.
One of the hardest aspects of doing a twenty second tabata workout is staying focused for the whole four minutes. It only takes 6 to 8 very hard 20 second intervals with 10 second rest periods to substantially improve both your aerobic and anaerobic capacity. Dr. Tabata's group did a study to prove this idea. They also found that short-term intense interval training is highly effective in lowering the ratio of lean body mass to fat without compromising your muscle size.
This cardio interval training method is an intense and quick workout routine but very effective.The entire exercise lasts only about 4 minutes if you do it correctly. The rest period can be complete rest or a less intense pace. It is a great way to get a very intense workout in a very short period of time. I'm sure you'll feel like twenty seconds has never felt so long, 10 seconds never so short and four minutes never so painful!
The popularity of exercising with tabata workouts as your core routine philosophy is increasing. The tabata protocol has been used by major members of the Japanese Speed Skating team for several years. The two best exercises for a interval routine are tabata squats and tabata thrusters. Whichever exercise you choose, it should use a large number of muscles to get maximum benefit.
- TRX Posted: Wednesday, May 5th, 2010
- Chai Tea - Latte-style! Posted: Wednesday, February 17th, 2010
- Fruit and Vegetables Stickers Posted: Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009
- Organic Choices on Fruits and Vegetables! Posted: Wednesday, December 16th, 2009
- Gymsticks Posted: Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009
- Today's the Day Contributors Posted: Wednesday, November 25th, 2009
- Recap of Segments! Posted: Thursday, August 6th, 2009
- Multi-Vitamins Posted: Tuesday, July 7th, 2009
- Powerbar Snack Posted: Tuesday, June 9th, 2009
- Epipen Posted: Monday, June 8th, 2009
- Core Posted: Thursday, June 4th, 2009
- Shoulder Dislocate Stretch! Posted: Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009
- Nuts & Kettlebells! Posted: Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009
- Weed Re-cap Posted: Friday, May 29th, 2009
- Jumping Squares & Inverted Spine Table Posted: Thursday, May 21st, 2009
- An Ode to the Derriere! Posted: Tuesday, May 19th, 2009
- Recap: Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Natural Products Posted: Friday, May 15th, 2009
- Kettlebell switch swing Posted: Thursday, May 14th, 2009
- Speed and Agility Skills Posted: Tuesday, May 12th, 2009
- Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Bottom to Bottom Tabada Posted: Wednesday, May 6th, 2009
- Hydroxycut... Stop NOW! Posted: Tuesday, May 5th, 2009
- Ankle Sprains Posted: Thursday, April 30th, 2009
- Week Recap Posted: Monday, April 27th, 2009
- Spring Cleaning Posted: Friday, April 17th, 2009
- More Kettlebell Posted: Thursday, April 16th, 2009
- No Gym Required... Side Crunch! Posted: Wednesday, April 15th, 2009
- Teri's Stuffed Dates! Posted: Tuesday, April 14th, 2009
- JC Leg Cranks! Posted: Monday, April 13th, 2009
- The Common Cold... Posted: Thursday, April 9th, 2009
- Celebrity Trainer Posted: Wednesday, April 8th, 2009
- Catch Up! Posted: Tuesday, April 7th, 2009
- Hand Clap Abs! Posted: Wednesday, April 1st, 2009
- The Avocado Posted: Tuesday, March 31st, 2009
- Basic Kettlebell Swing Posted: Friday, March 20th, 2009
- Shin Splints Posted: Wednesday, March 18th, 2009
- The Right Question Posted: Tuesday, March 17th, 2009
- Personal Trainers Posted: Friday, March 13th, 2009
- Tabata Posted: Thursday, March 12th, 2009
- Grocery Shopping Posted: Wednesday, March 11th, 2009
- Hip Abductors! Posted: Tuesday, March 10th, 2009
- Swallowing the Horse Pills!! Posted: Monday, March 9th, 2009
- Cardio Tempo Posted: Friday, March 6th, 2009
- Strength for Seniors Posted: Wednesday, March 4th, 2009
- Oatmeal Bath Posted: Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009
- BOSU Jumping Jack! Posted: Monday, March 2nd, 2009
- Fountain Of Youth Wrap Up! Posted: Friday, February 27th, 2009
- Vitamin Infusions Posted: Thursday, February 26th, 2009
- Lipo-Dermo-Sculpting! Posted: Wednesday, February 25th, 2009