Today's the Day: Blog
Jumping Squares & Inverted Spine Table
Posted: Thursday, May 21st, 2009
Pat Woodcock joined us on the show yesterday morning to give us another training tip for those of you heading into the summer sports season. Many of you are starting to do drills at practices and starting to get your muscles back into "game" shape. We use a different set of muscles over the winter months that differ to what happens to our bodies when we are actually out on the field playing recreational soccer, or ultimate or tennis, softball and baseball for that matter. Plus the list could go on. Pat, who is awaiting word on where he will play in the CFL next season has also started a new project and its called the Elite Performance Academy. He is running clinics with his former teammate Donnie Ruiz aimed at kids getting set for their individual sports.
The Jumping squares had us jumping back and forth and side to side over small obstacles. This allowed for the lateral movement of jumping from side to side as well as jumping backwards which doesn't really happen all that often in our daily activity. Pat was able to the drill about twice as fast as me! You don't need anything substantial to act as an obstacle. It can simply be a rope, and small disk, and small piece of wood. All you really need is the visual cue that you need to jump over something and going both forward, sideways and backwards.
For more information on Pat's camps you can find all the information:
Pat Woodcock - PATEliteTraining@gmail.com
On today's show we had on Dr. John Zielonka from the Ottawa Chiropractic & Natural Health Centre. He was talking about inverted spinal tablesâ€¦ I loved getting on the table and feeling my back release, crack and stretch.
Here's the rundown from the following website: http://www.backshop.co.za/products/inver_table.htm
WHAT is an Inversion Table?
It looks like a special "see-saw " - an upholstered board pivoting in the middle and swivelling through a wide range of angles. Your body is at any position fully supported. Moulded rubber pads are comfortably securing and holding you at your ankles.
Folding the device allows easy storage in between exercises - even for small rooms.
WHO should use the Inversion Table?
- Back Pain Patients - most of those, who want to prevent and those who suffer from it already and are anxious for some relief - mind a few contraindications listed on this site.
- Stress-exposed "workaholics", who obviously don't even have spare time for exercising.
- Athletes, strained and overheated after exercises for relaxing and cooling down.
- Office workers and all those who by the nature of their occupation are bound to sit all day - such as PC- operators, clerks, students, craftsmen performing precision work etc - definitely all RSI - candidates (those experiencing Repetitive Strain Injuries ).
- Heavy-loads-lifters, mineworkers and those exposed to vibration of industrial machinery.
- An Inversion Table should always be included in any Circuit of ACTIVE SPINE RESTORATION.
- This is the best option for all who want to practice comfortable and secure inversion.
How does the Inversion Table operate?
The balance is so precise that simple arm movements control the rotation. A tether strap allows you to stop the rotation at any angle. Additionally, the adjustable roller hinges offer a threefold choice to you for selecting the aggressiveness of rotation. The table can lock at 90Âş for full inversion. While in this position, you can do inverted sit-ups and squats (which usually are not recommended to any spine- sufferer).
Here is another website for more information:: http://www.losethebackpain.com/inversion3.html
If you would like more information on Dr. Zielonka and his practice you can check out his website at www.excellenceinhealth.com.
- TRX Posted: Wednesday, May 5th, 2010
- Chai Tea - Latte-style! Posted: Wednesday, February 17th, 2010
- Fruit and Vegetables Stickers Posted: Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009
- Organic Choices on Fruits and Vegetables! Posted: Wednesday, December 16th, 2009
- Gymsticks Posted: Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009
- Today's the Day Contributors Posted: Wednesday, November 25th, 2009
- Recap of Segments! Posted: Thursday, August 6th, 2009
- Multi-Vitamins Posted: Tuesday, July 7th, 2009
- Powerbar Snack Posted: Tuesday, June 9th, 2009
- Epipen Posted: Monday, June 8th, 2009
- Core Posted: Thursday, June 4th, 2009
- Shoulder Dislocate Stretch! Posted: Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009
- Nuts & Kettlebells! Posted: Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009
- Weed Re-cap Posted: Friday, May 29th, 2009
- Jumping Squares & Inverted Spine Table Posted: Thursday, May 21st, 2009
- An Ode to the Derriere! Posted: Tuesday, May 19th, 2009
- Recap: Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Natural Products Posted: Friday, May 15th, 2009
- Kettlebell switch swing Posted: Thursday, May 14th, 2009
- Speed and Agility Skills Posted: Tuesday, May 12th, 2009
- Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Bottom to Bottom Tabada Posted: Wednesday, May 6th, 2009
- Hydroxycut... Stop NOW! Posted: Tuesday, May 5th, 2009
- Ankle Sprains Posted: Thursday, April 30th, 2009
- Week Recap Posted: Monday, April 27th, 2009
- Spring Cleaning Posted: Friday, April 17th, 2009
- More Kettlebell Posted: Thursday, April 16th, 2009
- No Gym Required... Side Crunch! Posted: Wednesday, April 15th, 2009
- Teri's Stuffed Dates! Posted: Tuesday, April 14th, 2009
- JC Leg Cranks! Posted: Monday, April 13th, 2009
- The Common Cold... Posted: Thursday, April 9th, 2009
- Celebrity Trainer Posted: Wednesday, April 8th, 2009
- Catch Up! Posted: Tuesday, April 7th, 2009
- Hand Clap Abs! Posted: Wednesday, April 1st, 2009
- The Avocado Posted: Tuesday, March 31st, 2009
- Basic Kettlebell Swing Posted: Friday, March 20th, 2009
- Shin Splints Posted: Wednesday, March 18th, 2009
- The Right Question Posted: Tuesday, March 17th, 2009
- Personal Trainers Posted: Friday, March 13th, 2009
- Tabata Posted: Thursday, March 12th, 2009
- Grocery Shopping Posted: Wednesday, March 11th, 2009
- Hip Abductors! Posted: Tuesday, March 10th, 2009
- Swallowing the Horse Pills!! Posted: Monday, March 9th, 2009
- Cardio Tempo Posted: Friday, March 6th, 2009
- Strength for Seniors Posted: Wednesday, March 4th, 2009
- Oatmeal Bath Posted: Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009
- BOSU Jumping Jack! Posted: Monday, March 2nd, 2009
- Fountain Of Youth Wrap Up! Posted: Friday, February 27th, 2009
- Vitamin Infusions Posted: Thursday, February 26th, 2009
- Lipo-Dermo-Sculpting! Posted: Wednesday, February 25th, 2009