Today's the Day: Blog
Shoulder Dislocate Stretch!
Posted: Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009
So, you spend the days crouched over your desk in a hunched back position; or half the day bent over picking up the kids. Add it all up and eventually your body starts to take that form. Lets get your posture back on track; back upright, feeling taller, lighter and with a little attitude to go with it!
Chelsea Boissoneault of Free Form Fitness showed us a stretch that she calls the 'Dislocate'. Do not fear, no dislocation is involved but it does get your shoulders, back and chest fired up.
Here is what you need: A broom stick, hockey stick or even a ski pole, or anything creative you can think of that looks like stick!
Hold the stick in front of you, with your hands holding the stick as wide out as they can goâ€¦slowly bring the stick up above your head and behind your head a little bit. You should fee a nice stretch, opening up the chest and shoulder blades. If you can, try and bring the stick back down behind you and then bring it back up.
The wider apart your hands, the easier it is; the closer together, the harder it gets.
Do not attempt to go further than your body allowsâ€¦ this could lead to injury.
Also, keep in mind, if you suffer from shoulder injuries, this is not something you should try. You don't want to irritate the rotator cuff.
So, it's a quick and easy little thing you can do today to try and improve your posture. It felt awesome for me when I tried it, I hadn't given myself a good stretch lately, but keep in mind I used to be a gymnast so I may have made it look a little easier than it is!
Have a great day and enjoy the sunshine! Later today I am off to watch Andie take part in her first musical concert. I don't think the knows the words to any of the songs, but she picked out her outfit and cant wait for the curtain call: she's 4... should I be worried?
For more information on Free Form Fitness you can check out their website:
- TRX Posted: Wednesday, May 5th, 2010
- Chai Tea - Latte-style! Posted: Wednesday, February 17th, 2010
- Fruit and Vegetables Stickers Posted: Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009
- Organic Choices on Fruits and Vegetables! Posted: Wednesday, December 16th, 2009
- Gymsticks Posted: Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009
- Today's the Day Contributors Posted: Wednesday, November 25th, 2009
- Recap of Segments! Posted: Thursday, August 6th, 2009
- Multi-Vitamins Posted: Tuesday, July 7th, 2009
- Powerbar Snack Posted: Tuesday, June 9th, 2009
- Epipen Posted: Monday, June 8th, 2009
- Core Posted: Thursday, June 4th, 2009
- Shoulder Dislocate Stretch! Posted: Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009
- Nuts & Kettlebells! Posted: Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009
- Weed Re-cap Posted: Friday, May 29th, 2009
- Jumping Squares & Inverted Spine Table Posted: Thursday, May 21st, 2009
- An Ode to the Derriere! Posted: Tuesday, May 19th, 2009
- Recap: Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Natural Products Posted: Friday, May 15th, 2009
- Kettlebell switch swing Posted: Thursday, May 14th, 2009
- Speed and Agility Skills Posted: Tuesday, May 12th, 2009
- Nut Butters and Celiac Posted: Monday, May 11th, 2009
- Bottom to Bottom Tabada Posted: Wednesday, May 6th, 2009
- Hydroxycut... Stop NOW! Posted: Tuesday, May 5th, 2009
- Ankle Sprains Posted: Thursday, April 30th, 2009
- Week Recap Posted: Monday, April 27th, 2009
- Spring Cleaning Posted: Friday, April 17th, 2009
- More Kettlebell Posted: Thursday, April 16th, 2009
- No Gym Required... Side Crunch! Posted: Wednesday, April 15th, 2009
- Teri's Stuffed Dates! Posted: Tuesday, April 14th, 2009
- JC Leg Cranks! Posted: Monday, April 13th, 2009
- The Common Cold... Posted: Thursday, April 9th, 2009
- Celebrity Trainer Posted: Wednesday, April 8th, 2009
- Catch Up! Posted: Tuesday, April 7th, 2009
- Hand Clap Abs! Posted: Wednesday, April 1st, 2009
- The Avocado Posted: Tuesday, March 31st, 2009
- Basic Kettlebell Swing Posted: Friday, March 20th, 2009
- Shin Splints Posted: Wednesday, March 18th, 2009
- The Right Question Posted: Tuesday, March 17th, 2009
- Personal Trainers Posted: Friday, March 13th, 2009
- Tabata Posted: Thursday, March 12th, 2009
- Grocery Shopping Posted: Wednesday, March 11th, 2009
- Hip Abductors! Posted: Tuesday, March 10th, 2009
- Swallowing the Horse Pills!! Posted: Monday, March 9th, 2009
- Cardio Tempo Posted: Friday, March 6th, 2009
- Strength for Seniors Posted: Wednesday, March 4th, 2009
- Oatmeal Bath Posted: Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009
- BOSU Jumping Jack! Posted: Monday, March 2nd, 2009
- Fountain Of Youth Wrap Up! Posted: Friday, February 27th, 2009
- Vitamin Infusions Posted: Thursday, February 26th, 2009
- Lipo-Dermo-Sculpting! Posted: Wednesday, February 25th, 2009